About Me

My photo
iLive, iLove, iBlog... All over the world.______________________ “Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.” -Albert Einstein

Friday, September 25, 2009

Well hello! For starters I do not have phone service like I originally thought I would. I do have an cell phone for Iceland though, that should be interesting to use. So I ended up getting into Iceland about 7:30am, the airport was about 45 minutes from where I am living so I got to see a little of the "country" side during the drive. There are like no trees. It was like landing on the moon or something, just lava rock everywhere. But once I got into the "cities" more like small towns it was different. More green grass and stuff like that. So my apartment is pretty nice. Most of the houses here look from the outside like apartments or duplexes. My apartment is below this family that is associated with the Basketball team, and their daughter plays on the team, so that makes it nice since I will know someone so close. The apartment is pretty big, and they went to IKEA and bought my a bunch of furniture and stuff to go into it, so its pretty sweet. A lot of the houses I have been in, which is like 3, have looked like they came straight out of an IKEA magazine. Its cold here, been in the lower 40's and rainy, but still a lot of sunlight so far. As far as food, yesterday for lunch one of my teammates took me to the mall food court and I was able to choose between Sbarro, Subway, McDonalds, or Dominos.. Am I in America? And then last night for dinner we went to the combo KFC/Taco Bell, so much for giving their cuisine a try. We had practice yesterday to teach me the plays, there was only like 4 of them so it took me a whole 5 minutes to learn, the coach was impressed. I told him I had about 200 plays in college so learning 4 was pretty easy. The coach told me that he is going to need me to play about 35-40 minutes a game, nothing like jumping right in. Good thing I packed 2 tubes of Icy Hot instead of just one. One other thing, I got my gym membership to this place next to our gym. They are obsessed with swimming pools here, that's all they would talk about. But also at the gym, behind the desk where you check in, is a huge variety of metroplex, muscle milk, all kinds of stuff made me laugh, I guess the US isn't the only place that uses all that stuff. We had our first game this evening and won by 25 points. I didn't shot the ball well from the 3-point line but still ended the game with 24 pts. To go along with that I had 12 rebounds, 10 assists, and 10 steals. First time I have ever done something like that in my career. We have practice tomorrow morning at 9am, a little early for my likings but its part of the job. With that I think I am going to head to bed.
Until next time... Take Care

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wonderful blog post Heather. So interesting how you've ended up in Iceland playing basketball. It's certainly not Iowa.

Would you consider writing about how you came to play in the country?

I found the blog through Twitter. I've added you to RSS and hope to keep up on you're great adventure.

Cheers,

Jim