About Me

My photo
iLive, iLove, iBlog... All over the world.______________________ “Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.” -Albert Einstein

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Rainy Saturday, good day to blog

I am sitting here listening to the OU vs TX football game online and figured it would be a good time to blog. I guess the fact that one of my teammates sent me a message saying I needed to update helped as well (thanks Telma, glad I have a loyal reader!) Anyways I am sitting here yelling at the computer to tell OU to hold on to the football and for Texas for drop passes, while also being entertained by these announcers I am listening to. I chose, at random, a radio station that was broadcasting the game, and boy did I luck out, I think. Tom and his co-host Merv, are OU broadcasters so of course its a little bias, but I am pretty sure Tom likes to talk just to hear himself, and Merv who only gets a few words in, actually knows whats going on. Like I said its entertaining.
Anyways we had a game on Thursday at home against Grindavik. It was the first game of the season, and it was a tough one as well. We were down by 7 at halftime but came back and won by 12. I am pretty sure it was the worst first half of basketball I have played in a long time, but gladly the rest of my team kept us in the game. We played a really good second half and maybe the best 4th quarter of basketball we have played yet. I finished the game with 33 points and 15 rebounds. Who would have thought I could rebound which bring me to Friday. I emailed Coach Fennelly to wish him good luck on the first day of practice and tell him how much I wish I was there and how much I miss college basketball. Included in his response back was how he had no idea I was a rebounding machine. I had no idea about this either considering I averaged about 3 rebounds in college, I guess sometimes we can even surprise ourselves! Friday was also a busy day for me as I went to the trainer to get treatment and then had to go by the car rental place to get my "winter tires" put on. Due to the extreme weather in the winter, most of the cars have to get what they call winter tires that have more traction on them for the snow and ice. They were a little busy when I went in to get this and told me it would be an hour for them to finish. So they gave me another car and said come back in an hour. I ended up just going to the near by mall and walking around and finally just sat in the food court area and people watched until it was time for me to pick up my car. After that I just went home to relax for a little bit. I listened to a friends soccer game online before heading to my coaches house for dinner. This is the second time I have joined his family for dinner. The first time, was a true Icelandic meal, but this time it was homemade pizza! After dinner I headed to the gym to catch some of the men's game before our practice started. Friday's practice was pretty laid back, which I think everyone appreciated after the tough game on Thursday night.
As for today, we had practice this morning and then I went and reffed a little kids game. Which that was an experience. I had no problem reffing a game, as I have done that many times, but it was more the fact of communicating with the young kids. Although my teammates have been teaching me some Icelandic, I am no way good or even okay at it. So when I am calling fouls or telling the kids who's ball it is they look at me like I am speaking a foreign language, which I am to them. And then the low point of the game happened when I had to ask one of the 11 year olds, how to say "red and green" in Icelandic.. haha. It really wasn't that bad and I actually enjoyed helping out, although I am not sure if they will ask me to Ref again anytime soon. And like I mentioned earlier, I am currently laying on my couch listening to the OU/TX game and keeping up with the other college football scores. I also just finished making some delicious looking chicken fajitas that I am about to go enjoy. But of course before I finish I have to give you my funny story of the week...
Earlier in the week I was on my way to see the trainer and running about 20 minutes early. I decided that since I had the extra time and was sitting on a half tank of gas, I would fill up. So I pulled into the "N1" which didn't have an actual place to go inside to, but just pay at the pumps. This didn't bother me until I got up the pump and realized everything was in Icelandic. Still I decided that it can't be that hard, you put your card in, enter your pin and then fill up right? Nope wrong, I enter my pin and then another message pops up on the screen and I have no idea what it says. So I decide to just hit the red "x" button, figuring that was the cancel button which it was, and decided to give this gas thing another try later. Well that later time came last night, when my fuel light came on. I was a little apprehensive with my next trip so I unashamedly asked a teammate to come help me out. So my teammate, Gudrun and myself headed to the gas station after practice last night. The gas station we went to did have an actual place to go inside to, so I knew already it would be a lot easier than the last time, and once I got to the pump everything was in English so I felt bad even asking for Gudrun's help as I knew I could handle this. But then there I was, standing at the side of my car looking at my gas tank door and wondering where the hell is the button to get my tank door open. I looked all over my car for that little button or lever and finally once again had to ask Gudrun for help, she came over and like me was just as confused about the situation. So just when I decide to get the owner's manual out of the glove box in a last resort to figure this out, Gudrun walks over to my gas tank door and pushes it.. Yep you guessed it, it opened right up. I felt like an idiot but we definitely got a good laugh out of the whole experience. And to round it all out, my total for gas was 6001 isk.. its like trying to stop at $15 dollars and going over by that 1 penny to $15.01.
Anyways we have a game tomorrow at KR again. We just played them last Sunday and got beat, but didn't have our whole team for the team. So I am hoping tomorrow will be a different story, I am looking forward to it! Other than that, I had another highlight of the week when the package my mom sent arrived. The 20 pound box definitely made my day, as well as week! Well I think that is all for now, unfortunately I don't have many pictures to leave you with but I promise next time I will. Until then, have a great day and take care!

Thursday game

No comments: