About Me

My photo
iLive, iLove, iBlog... All over the world.______________________ “Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.” -Albert Einstein

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Lots to talk about...

Its been a week since I updated last and since then a lot has happened. Sorry it has taken me a week to update, I am going to try and fix this. Especially since I made a deal with my teammates that I would update at least twice a week for their viewing pleasure. I told Telma I would promise to try and update more if she would promise to provide pictures, so most of the pictures below are thanks to Telma!
This past week we had a game on Wednesday against Snaefell, which we won by about 30. Snaefell came into the game 2-0, and above us in the league standings so it was a good win for us. 7 must have been my lucky number for that game as I finished with 7 rebounds, 7 assists, and 7 steals, to go along with 26 points. We had the day off on Thursday, so like usual, I slept in and then went and saw the trainer to get some treatment. The good news about the treatment is I'm finally starting to feel some improvements, which is great news for me and my body. That evening I went to the Keflavik mens game with my teammate, Gudrun and her sister. Former Iowa State men's basketball player Rahshon Clark plays for Keflavik so it was good to see him as well as support the former Cyclone! You really know its a small world when you come to Iceland to play and find out another Cyclone is playing over here as well, but I am definitely not complaining as its nice to have a friendly face around.
On Friday I went to the gym to lift and did a pool workout. While I was lifting I had the pleasure of being "impressed" by the gentleman across the room. (I say impressed cause that is what the guy was trying to do, but lets just say I wasn't the least bit impressed) I am pretty sure after every set he would look over at me to see if I was watching and just when he thought he was pretty big time, I walked over to the dumbbell rack picked up a set of DBs about 10 pounds heavier than him and proceed to do the same lift he was doing. He left the weight room about 5 minutes later. Anyways after the gym, I ran a couple errands and then went to practice that evening. On my way to practice I ran into something very unusual, more unusual than the typical things I see on a daily basis. As I am driving I have to come to a complete stop due to 3 horses standing in the middle of the road. Until I later found out that all the horses are actually owned by someone, I thought that these horses just ran wild around the town, which is why I found this so unusual. But come to find out they just got out and were running around the country side, that is until they decided to stop right in the middle of the road in front of me. I had to honk my horn a couple times before they would actually move and I could make my way to practice. After practice I spent a good couple hours watching old Grey's Anatomy episodes on my computer. My new addiction is Season 2, which I just started watching this week and I am already about halfway through. The best part is I never watched Season 2 so all of it is new to me and I don't know whats going to happen, so I am thoroughly enjoying it.
Saturday was an exciting day! Although it started off not the best with 9am practice, which to my body still feels like 4am. I am pretty sure my Coach made the comment to me that if it wasn't for the basketball in my hands I would look like I was still sleeping. Ah good to know it was that bad, I had given myself to much credit when I originally thought it wasn't THAT bad. After practice I ran a practice for a 15 year old team. I am still getting use to these teams that I have been helping out with and not really sure what to do during their practices. Because of this I run the practices more like camps and doing a lot of fundamentals. I hope the girls don't hate me too much, haha. After the practice, the rest of my Saturday was pretty eventful. A couple of my teammates had planned a little road trip to take me on to see some of tourist attractions in Iceland. So me, Sara, Gudrun, and Telma drove about an hour and half and to see two amazing things. The first place we stopped was at this BEAUTIFUL waterfall. It was so cool, and although it was really windy and freezing I would have stood and looked at it forever. After that we went to the Geysir and hot springs. There are two geysirs in this area, one being the second highest geysir, just behind the Steamboat geysir, but unfortunately this Geysir, like Steamboat doesn't go off that often so I didn't get to see it. But I did get to see the other one which is just a little bit shorter than Old Faithful. It goes off every 8-10 minutes, and I got to see it go off a few different times. Also by the Geysirs were a lot of hot springs and steam pots. Take a look at the pictures below to see exactly what I am talking about.
After the sightseeing we headed back towards town, stopping on the way at the Hamar women's basketball game. My teammates sister plays for Hamar as well as another fellow American that I have became pretty good friends with. So it was nice to catch some of the game, and it was also good to watch the game as we play Hamar on Wednesday. After the game we went back to Reykjavik and grabbed dinner at Ruby Tuesdays, which I of course enjoyed very much. I headed home after dinner and relaxed before getting ready to go out that night. At about 10 I headed to my teammates apartment where we hung out before heading downtown to the bars. There was about 6 of us at the apartment, including a couple of my teammates and some girls off the Hamar team, including Koren the American that I have became pretty good friends with. It was fun to sit around and talk to her while also trying to learn some new Icelandic words from our teammates. I am not sure if we actually learned any or not, but it was still entertaining trying to pronounce things. We finally got to the bars at about 12:45, which was early because most people don't show up till after 1 or so. To make a long story short and to keep this blog rated PG, we stayed out till about 5am, before finally heading home. It was a really fun night and for the first time since being in Iceland I spent most of the night surrounded by Americans! The one story for the night that I will share is that one of the Americans that plays for one of the mens teams was standing at the bar when I was about to order a drink. I started talking to him and introduced myself and everything. We started talking and he asked where I was from and I said Missouri. He kinda looked at me funny and asked where at in Missouri, I said Springfield. His eyes got big and he said No way, I played at SMS (known as Missouri State now-a-days). It was funny cause when I first saw him play earlier in the month I thought he looked familiar but I figured since we was American that's why he looked so familiar and I didn't think about it much more than that. But I was right he did look familiar because I had seen him before in Springfield. So we stood there talking and I would throw out a name and he would know exactly who I was talking about. It seriously is crazy how small the world can be.
Anyways as for today I have spent the majority of it laying on the couch watching TV and hydrating :). And since I just realized its already 5:45pm here I will probably not do to much else then this the rest of the day. Well I think that is all I have for now, I will leave with some pictures and until next time, which should be Thursday (fingers crossed), I hope you have a great week and take care.
Geysir
Steam pots and hot springs
Waterfall
Road trip crew
Looks like a College kids fridge..
don't judge
Game vs. Snaefell
Wild horses

1 comment:

Telma Björk said...

good job girl! Your keepin you end of the deal :D lol... say hi to Christina Elisabeth Stevens for me ! haha